For those of you who have been following me on Instagram, you know that Jackson and I are moving THIS WEEKEND! We're not moving far, but just getting out of the apartment and into an actual house. As I've been packing this week, I really wished that I had read a couple articles with tips on packing. It really is a lot to pack up your entire life! Here's a couple of things that I've come up with for the next time you move:
1. Pack an overnight bag with all of the stuff you'll need. This was one of the first things I did. Jackson and I have an event the day before we move in, so there won't be any last-minute packing for us. This means that we need to have a travel set of all our shampoos, soaps, towels, toothbrushes, and everything else! Since we have it all set aside, I was able to go ahead and completely pack the bathroom several days before we actually move.
2. Write the name of the room your box will need to be going in. We ALWAYS have had to ask for one or two extra helping hands when we move, so writing the name of the room on the boxes really streamlines things along! There isn't any question of where to put the box in, and we can get everything unloaded much faster!
3. If you can, clean your new place before you unload. We won't be able to this time, but we've always gone in and cleaned first. That way, you aren't having to work around all your furniture and boxes!
4. Keep sandwich bags or small, reusable bags nearby to put you're miscellaneous stuff in. I have a TON of reusable bags from makeup products over the years. The only time I really use them is when I move! You can put pencils, random screws, jewelry, and literally anything in them and keep you boxes a little more organized!
5. Speaking of bags, put all your overnight bags, suitcases, and grocery sacks to good use! I find it SO much easier to load and unload stuff when it's in my reusable grocery bags. It's also so much easier to cram a couple extra bags into a car as opposed to a bulky box.
6. Call and set up your utilities ahead of time. There's nothing worse than getting to your new home and not having electricity or running water.
7. Stop buying groceries 2-3 weeks before you move out. Our fridge now holds: three oranges, uncooked tofu, salad dressing, and margarita mixer. Fortunately, our pantry is full of stuff we usually don't touch! It's actually been super tough trying to cook with what we have left, but it's been a little fun as well. Most importantly, we won't have to worry about moving all our food to the new house with us.
8. Make a trip to Goodwill to donate all the crap you no longer want/need. I cannot tell you how much stuff I've put in the corner to donate because we just don't use it. Moving gives you the perfect opportunity to go through all your stuff and get rid of what you don't really use. It always makes me feel so fresh when I get rid of a bunch of stuff, and I always forget how much stuff I have until I go to move it all!
9. If you need extra boxes, go to a Walmart or Liquor Store. Liquor stores always have a ton of extra boxes they're looking to get rid of, and people at Walmart may be able to help you out as well!
10. Keep your cleaning supplies at hand! You will need them to clean out your old place and clean up your new place.
My name's Vikka. I'm a Nashville fashion and lifestyle blogger. I post a lot of fashion, recipes, and home tips and tricks!
Let's Stay In Touch!
Currently listening to: